- People may copy dangerous stunts shown on TV or movies. Censorship proves necessary here.
- It protects the privacy of people.
- Plagiarism is prevented.
- Children are prevented from learning things that could harm them and others.
- It prevents violence by stopping the broadcast of events, which might trigger it.
- Freedom of speech is compromised.
- It prevents the free flow of ideas.
- If sex-related topics are completely censored it becomes difficult to teach children and teenagers about the dangers of Sexually Transmitted Diseases and HIV/AIDS.
- It works against creativity.
- Dictators use censorship to promote a flattering image of themselves and for removing any information that goes against them.